Books for the NOC guys...

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Fri Apr 2 13:37:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 08:09:29 -0400
"Robert E. Seastrom" <rs at seastrom.com> wrote:

> This morning I went digging for a book to recommend that someone in
> our NOC read in order to understand at a high level how Internet
> infrastructure works (bgp, igps, etc) and discovered that the old
> standbys (Huitema, Halabi, Perlman) have all not been updated in a
> decade or so.
[...]
> So, what are you having your up-and-coming NOC staff read?

That is an excellent question Rob.  I still recommend and prefer to use
Radia's book when I teach networking classes.  There are lots of books
that regurgitate the specs or spend a fair amount of time on the
core algorithms and mechanisms, but few go into the "why" and "what if"
like she does that makes it so exceptional and particularly relevant
from an operations perspective.

I often will play a clip or two from past meetings like NANOG and
discuss that in class to make up for the lack of reference and
discussion material elsewhere.  Perhaps point them at a few of your
favorite presentations on a particular operationally relevant topic
you want them to know more about?

John