100% want IPv6 - Was: New Linksys CPE, IPv6 ?

Dale Carstensen dlc at lampinc.com
Thu Apr 1 23:25:42 UTC 2010

>Date:   Thu, 1 Apr 2010 07:58:22 -0500
>To:     Dan White <dwhite at olp.net>
>cc:     NANOG <nanog at nanog.org>
>From:   Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: 100% want IPv6 - Was: New Linksys CPE, IPv6 ?

>Just to play with, I purchased a soekris net5501 board (very nice
>board for that price) and planning to start playing with it using
>FreeBSD. I took a look at the RouterBoard but the firmware license is
>too restrictive and there is no much hacking (well there is always a
>way to hack) you can do, but they are dirty cheap.
>
>Cheers
>Jorge

You can cross-compile openwrt for RouterBoard (check which models, though),
and that would mean no license fee for the software.  Maybe that voids
some warranty, but if warrantys for sub-US$100 equipment are really
worth anything, what would anybody offer me for several dozen mostly
Linksys with some D-Link, Netgear and at least one each of Dynix and
Belkin SOHO routers?  Also, the Mikrotik RouterOS license is bundled
with the hardware purchase, too, so it might be years before you'd need
to spend another US$45 to update that to a new version, if you want to
run RouterOS instead of something else.

  Dale