Raised floor, Solid floor... or carpet?

Brandon Kim brandon.kim at brandontek.com
Thu Apr 1 16:46:54 UTC 2010

Some questions:

What about dust? Wouldn't the carpet hold down more dust then a regular floor, and at some point,
the dust could kick back up and go right back into the servers?

What about maintenance of the floor? (sweep/brooming wise) Isn't it easier to use something like
iRobot on a flat floor than a carpeted one?

I don't know the exact coding standards, but would it not be better to use those sound proof materials
in the corner and walls around the datacenter?

Wouldn't a carpet be bad for possible fires/flames or sparks?