100% want IPv6 - Was: New Linksys CPE, IPv6 ?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 1 06:07:05 UTC 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

>>> ^^ Doubt.
>>
>> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/
>>

> We have just (anecdotally, empirically) established earlier in this
> thread, that anything smaller than a mid-sized business, can't even
> *GET* IPv6 easily (at least in the USA); much less care about it.

Huh??? I missed that somewhere.  The previous paragraph is:

Falsehood
Uncertainty
Doubt

Contrary evidence:

whois -h whois.arin.net 2620:0:930::/48  -- ARIN Direct Assignment
	Multihomed Household
	Qualified under stricter policy than is now in effect.

http://www.tunnelbroker.net (yes, I work there, but, you don't have to work there
to get a /48 for free).

> Talking about a "crystal ball", in my view, is just a lot of hand-waving
> that means "I don't have a real-world example to point to".

http://www.delong.com

Real world web site multi-homed, dual-stacked, and running just fine.

> Talking about "the Next Big Thing" means that somehow, the NBT will be
> present without any residential or small business broadband users
> partaking in it.  Sounds like a pretty small piece of the pie for the NBT...

Again, conclusions not in evidence.  It's easy for anyone who wants it to
get IPv6 and IPv6 connectivity. Sure, native IPv6 is a little harder to get,
but, overall, I'm doing OK with tunnels of various forms and native will
be coming along shortly in many many more places.

Owen