100% want IPv6 - Was: New Linksys CPE, IPv6 ?

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Thu Apr 1 04:07:57 UTC 2010

On 31/03/10 23:52 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>We have just (anecdotally, empirically) established earlier in this
>thread, that anything smaller than a mid-sized business, can't even
>*GET* IPv6 easily (at least in the USA); much less care about it.
>
>Talking about a "crystal ball", in my view, is just a lot of hand-waving
>that means "I don't have a real-world example to point to".
>
>Talking about "the Next Big Thing" means that somehow, the NBT will be
>present without any residential or small business broadband users
>partaking in it.  Sounds like a pretty small piece of the pie for the NBT...
>
>For the record, I have no dog in this fight; I just think that the
>rhetoric / fanboi-ism / advocacy level is just a little too high -
>emotion rather than reason is taking over in the course of debate, which
>for me at least, is unwelcome.

As a (small) service provider with very stiff competition from much larger
providers where I work, we have to have a perfect Crystal Ball, or hedge
our bets.

Customer needs are constantly changing, and are a constantly moving target.
Historically we have a good understanding of what they want. We were the
first broadband provider in our footprint for several years, but we have
lost customers to competition as well.

Technology is most notable when it is disruptive, and is probably most
devastating to a company like our's when it is. We will only survive if we
are prepared, and that's the same advice I would offer anyone who has a
penny to lose in this game.

--
Dan White