Finding content in your job title

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Apr 1 03:00:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> What happened to titles such as programmer (or code monkey if your prefer,
> maybe a PC issue?), network administrator, systems administrator, systems
> analyst, information analyst?

Those titles still exist, but after you read enough job postings for
"network administrator", "network manager", or "network engineer" you
might not remember what they meant to you originally because HR people are
generally not tech-savvy, or jobs have to be posted in classification
buckets that don't fit very well.  I've seen more job postings than I care
to count that asked for a "network engineer", but the closest duty the job
actually called for was someone who knows how to manage Exchange and
Active Directory.

jms