Finding content in your job title

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Thu Apr 1 00:36:47 UTC 2010

Larry Sheldon wrote:
> So I just stayed with the cards I had that said Associate Director for
> Telecommunications and Computers.

That's nice, so you can call yourself a Director ;-)

What's up with the overuse of the term "President" in job titles, Vice
President of Engineering, Product Management... often these people
appear to not have any real corporate presidential powers... Maybe it's
because receptionists and secretaries are now called office managers and
so the managers feel their title has become inflated.

I agree with the misuse of the term "Engineer" in IT. I think it should
only be used for the "official" protected title of civil engineer. Which
I believe is a very respectable job. Sad but true, in IT too many people
have some form of engineer in their job title but are almost totally
clueless.

> Which is about as void of meaning then and now as anything I have ever
> heard of.

What happened to titles such as programmer (or code monkey if your
prefer, maybe a PC issue?), network administrator, systems
administrator, systems analyst, information analyst?

Greetings,
Jeroen