New Linksys CPE, IPv6 ?

Michael Dillon wavetossed at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 1 00:16:03 UTC 2010

On 1 April 2010 00:05, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
> On 01/04/2010 00:40, Michael Dillon wrote:
>>
>> In fact, consumer demand for IPv6 is close to 100%.
>
> Michael,  I think you fat-fingered "0%".
>
> Just to be clear, I'm talking about the real world here.

I did not fat finger anything. In the real world, nearly 100% of consumers
demand IPv6 from their ISP. But consumers are not techies so they don't
talk that way with acronyms and technical gobbledygook version numbers.
In plain English they tell us that they want the Internet access service to
just plain work. They want it to work all the time, including tomorrow and
if they move across town, or to another city, they want to order a move
from the ISP, and have it done in a few days.

ISPs who don't have IPv6 will soon be unable to provide access to all
Internet sites, as content providers begin to bring IPv6 sites onstream.
And ISPs without IPv6 will not be able to continue growing their networks,
even for something as trivial as an existing customer who moves to a
different PoP.

The approaching time is going to be a crisis for the ISP industry, and
the press will tar some ISPs in a very bad light if they can't smoothly
introduce IPv6. There will be bargain basement sellouts and happy
M&A departments at ISPs with foresight who got their IPv6 capability
ready early.

It's now like the calm before the storm. We know that a battle is coming
and we know roughly where and when it will be fought. Reports from
the field indicate that all is quiet, but that is normal just before the
battle commences. The wise general will not be put off by these reports
of peace and quiet, but will prepare his forces and keep an eye on
the preparations of his adversaries.

--Michael Dillon