802.17b Case studies and current usage on Metro Ethernets

Vinay Bannai bannai at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 23 04:31:49 UTC 2009

Fabio,

I believe there are several companies that build equipment based on the
802.17B standard. I will be more than glad to list them if you want.
I was quite involved in IEEE 802.17 during the standardization up till
2005. What are you looking for in the case studies?

I can go at length on the merits of RPR.
- You can have upto 255 nodes in a ring (2000KM rings) and very robust
- It runs a native L2 based topology and had 50ms recovery for fiber
chops and restoration
- It supports both source steering and wrapping
- Most importantly it support CoS and fairness for nodes on the ring for
certain types of traffic

Some of the cons:
- Limited number of vendors and chip makers supporting this technology
- Has remained a niche technology and faces competition from EAPS and ERPS
- A little complex to understand

Vinay Bannai