SMS

Richard E. Brown Richard.E.Brown at dartware.com
Tue Sep 22 17:02:36 UTC 2009

--- Shane Ronan wrote:
On that same note, can someone point me in the direction of an SMS
gateway service? I would like to be able to send SMS messages from my
monitoring systems, but I am unsure about how to go about it.
--- end of quote ---

There are several ways to do this:

- Open source software like Gammu (http://cihar.com/gammu/) can send SMS messages
through a USB or RS232 attached mobile phone or cellular modem.

- We've had good luck with the MultiTech MultiModem GPRS, model MTCBA-G-U-F2 (USB)
and Multitech GPRS MTCBA-G-F4 and Wavecomm RS-232 GSM (RS-232) modems.

- Many monitoring/management packages have built-in or add-on SMS sending utilities.

- You may not want to rely on the cellular carrier's e-mail-to-SMS gateway, either
because of connectivity problems or the cell carrier's delay/reliability problems.

- There's also a kludge that's good for a "disaster notification" that simply
rings a phone when something really bad happens. :-) Basically, the system uses
its numeric pager/TAP software to dial through an analog modem and a POTS line
and ring your phone/cell. The CallerID tells you who's calling, even there's no
message. There's a KB article at the InterMapper site describing this is at...

    http://forums.dartware.com/viewtopic.php?t=913

Rich Brown                    richard.e.brown at dartware.com
Dartware, LLC                 http://www.dartware.com
66-7 Benning Street           Telephone: 603-643-9600
West Lebanon, NH 03784-3407   Fax: 603-643-2289