Google Pagerank and "Class-C Addresses"

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Sep 22 16:16:44 UTC 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 2:01 PM, William Pitcock wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 18:18 +0200, Sebastian Wiesinger wrote:
>> Hello Nanog,
>>
>> I'm looking into a weird request which more and more customers have.
>> They want "different Class C addresses", by which they mean IPs in
>> different /24 subnets.
>>
>> The apparent reason for this is that Google will rank links from
>> different /24 higher then links from the same /24. So it's a SEO
>> thingy.
>>

> They are wrong.  Unfortunately, this is a rumour that is being
> cashed in
> greatly by companies like GotWebHost.com, which offer "SEO hosting".
> They may honestly believe that this is true, it is not.  Infact, IPs
> have nothing to do at all, with PageRank, and don't let any of these
> SEO
> crackheads tell you otherwise.
>
> A google employee blogged about this topic at:
> http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/myth-busting-virtual-hosts-vs-dedicated-ip-addresses/

Yes, and I'll second this -- PageRank does not in any way get improved
by hosting on multiple IPs (or different ranges or Class A's or Class-
C's[0] or swamp space or space from different RIRs or "premium
addresses" (?!) or anything like that...).

>> I googled a bit and found pages after pages of FUD and such great
>> things as the "Class C Checker":  "This free Class C Checker tool
>> allows you to check if some sites are hosted on the same Class C IP
>> Range."
>>
>> My question is: Is there any proof that Google does differentiate
>> between /24s, or even better is there any proof that this isn't the
>> case?

There's Matt's word and Craig Silverstein's word and (not that it
count for as much) my word -- PageRank does NOT differentiate between /
24's.

Google has stated this multiple times and we have nothing to gain by
lying or making things up -- the SEO folks on the other hand have a
large incentive to claim that IPs *do* make a difference as they sell
this as a service...

[0]: Yes, yes, I know, settle down....

--
No man is an island, But if you take a bunch of dead guys and tie them
together, they make a pretty good raft.