SMS

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Tue Sep 22 15:59:50 UTC 2009

Many people consider these (carrier email to SMS gateways) too unreliable as
there are no SLAs from the carriers, and sometimes experience long delays in
message delivery, or just flat out dropped messages.  If this is what you
are depending on for outage notification that's a big risk.

Some people use a serial interface to a specific model cell phones to
directly send the message over the carrier's cellular network.  This is good
in the event of isolation of a location from any IP connectivity to a
carrier gateway.

I believe there was another solution that involved direct carrier
connections, but these are most likely cost prohibitive in most situations.

There is a good thread on this somewhere a little while back in the NANOG
archives with more details of the solutions.

	-Scott