cross connect reliability

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Sep 17 23:30:11 UTC 2009

It's just not as interesting or hard to troubleshoot as a poorly made
patch cable that's had one conductor go open, only goes open when the wire
is tugged a certain direction, nicked wires shorting, a switch port with
its RX side burned out, an RJ45 plug who's mistreated tab no longer works,
and though it looks inserted in the port, it's really just kind of hanging
there not making full/good contact, etc.

I would hope in any data center, "stealing pairs" doesn't happen as much
as any of the above or taking pairs the tech genuinely thought were dead.

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Mike Lieman wrote:

> Because no-one is stealing pairs anymore?
>
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
>
>> Not really.  That's all too easy to diagnose and fix.  Poorly terminated
>> and or mistreated cabling is far more likely.  I wrote a long post about all
>> the crap termination and poor treatment I've seen...but canceled the
>> message.
>>
>> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Mike Lieman wrote:
>>
>>  We have a winner!
>>>
>>> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Marshall Eubanks <tme at americafree.tv

>>  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
>>  Senior Network Engineer     |  therefore you are
>>  Atlantic Net                |
>> _________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp<http://www.lewis.org/%7Ejlewis/pgp>for PGP public key_________

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |