cross connect reliability

Pete Carah pete at altadena.net
Thu Sep 17 23:14:06 UTC 2009

On 09/17/2009 06:37 PM, Deepak Jain wrote:

> [lots of stuff deleted].

A famous one that can happen with some techs is that they make jumpers
from solid wire with generic rj45 plugs (yes, I've seen this recently
from several folks who should know better).  These will last somewhere
around a year (long enough to forget when they were installed) then
randomly fail from just fan vibration or slight breezes.  There are rj45
plugs made for solid wire (have 3 little prongs instead of 2, and they
are offset to straddle the wire) but I feel that even these can go bad.
 I know if the techs are properly educated that this "will never happen"
(tm)...  (till someone needs a custom-length jumper on a sunday...)
(for which, one colo building has an ace hardware with most of the right
stuff, but unfortunately most don't).

As we all (should) know, all solid-wire cable should terminate in a
panel and proper short jumpers (pref. with molded strain-relief) are
used for the rest.

-- Pete