PPPOE design

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Thu Sep 17 13:49:30 UTC 2009

Hi,

PPPoX connections terminated on BRAS/BNG devices will use AAA, and
therefore you can assign whatever routes you want to the customer with
RADIUS VSAs. Typically you will aggregate or null routes for your dhcp
or ppp local pools, and then a policy to advertise these routes via
BGP to the rest of your network.

If some customers get static /32's for inet4 pppoe you would then also
want to export the local/access routes into BGP. I would suggest using
a different network range for static customers so you can better
control your route advertisements.

Kind regards,
Truman