Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Zaid Ali zaid at zaidali.com
Tue Sep 15 21:31:16 UTC 2009

I think costs of maintaining an abuse helpdesk is a big factor here. I
don't see many ISP's putting money and resources into an abuse
helpdesk and this is because it is low cost to obtain a Netblock so
why should one employ and build expertise on managing it. If you go to
SpamHaus you will see a major ISP and their netblocks listed and
associated with known spammers. What is this ISP doing about this?
Nothing!  My guess is that they look at their bottom $$ and look at
Spamming customer A and say "crap we will be spending $$$ on this
customer just to get them off SpamHaus so just leave it, we are
afterall in the bandwidth business". If ARIN were to say to this major
ISP that they wont allocate more addresses to them until they adhere
to an AUP then maybe the game will change but the bigger question here
is should ARIN get into this kind of policy.

Zaid