Hijacked Blocks

Lee Howard lee at asgard.org
Mon Sep 14 18:15:09 UTC 2009

> > If this is the case one could argue that ARIN should be reserving this
> > "worthless" address space to be used when they receive similar requests
> > in the future. There's no reason personX should get fresh, clean address
> > space when they make additional requests.
>
> That implies some process changes inside ARIN (I think) and
> effectively saving 'your old space' for some period of time in escrow
> for you. This doesn't sound unreasonable, perhaps you put forth some
> policy verbiage on ppml?

Several people have suggested several kinds of things ARIN could or
should do.

If you have a suggestion that would change ARIN internal operations,
but doesn't really affect who gets numbers, or how many integers,
you can easily make a suggestion to ARIN:
https://www.arin.net/app/suggestion/

If you want to see certain parties get more, fewer, or different numbers,
you can propose a policy:
https://www.arin.net/participate/how_to_participate.html

Seriously, both of these processes are lightweight.  There's a form asking
for contact info, then just explain your idea, and why it's a good idea.
You should subscribe to arin-ppml at arin.net, too, but you don't have to.

If you're not sure which way to go, or you want somebody to help
shape the right words to do what you want, or any other kind of
help understanding or shepherding your proposal through, you can
email any of the members of the ARIN Advisory Council:
https://www.arin.net/about_us/ac.html

If you would rather kick your idea around in person before submitting
it in writing, you can bring it up at the ARIN Open Policy Hour,
5:30 Tuesday of NANOG/ARIN, or just catch an Advisory Council
member at ARIN.  The ARIN community has tried to make it as
easy as possible to propose changes and participate, but a message
to NANOG may not be quite enough.

Lee