Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 16:42:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Leo Vegoda <leo.vegoda at icann.org> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2009, at 7:18 PM, Alex Lanstein wrote:
>
>> Along the same lines, I noticed that the worst Actor in recent
>> memory (McColo - AS26780) stopped paying their bills to ARIN and
>> their addresses have been returned to the pool.
>>
>> It's my opinion that a very select number of CIDR blocks (another
>> example being the ones belonging to Cernel/InternetPath/Atrivo/etc,
>> if it were ever fully extinguished) are, and forever will be,
>> completely toxic and unusable to any legitimate enterprise.
>> Arguments could be made that industry blacklists can and should be
>> more flexible, but from the considerably more innocuous case in this
>> thread, that is apparently not the modus operandi
>
> Putting these addresses back into use does not mean that they have to
> be allocated to networks where they'll number mail servers. ARIN staff
> is doubtless aware of the history of these blocks and will presumably
> do their best to allocate them to networks that aren't intended to
> host mail servers.

to quote bmanning.. they may even be put into service on a network
that is not 'the internet'. Though I think Alex's idea isn't without
merit, perhaps as a stage between 'de-allocate from non-payer' and
'allocate to new payer'. (perhaps only for blocks meeting some set of
criteria, yet to be determined/discussed)

-Chris