Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sun Sep 13 04:49:42 UTC 2009

Frank Bulk wrote:
> With scarcity of IPv4 addresses, organizations are more desperate than ever
> to receive an allocation.

Factual evidence that pi allocation is in fact hard to obtain would be
required to support that statement. The fact of the matter is if you
have a legitimate application congruent with current policy you'll get
your addresses just like you would last year. Now if your business is
contingent on the availability of pi addressing resources obviously you
have a fiduciary responsibility to address that problem in short order.

>  If anything, there's more of a disincentive than
> ever before for ARIN to spend time on netblock sanitization.

This whole thread seems to be about shifting (I.E. by externalizing) the
costs of remediation. presumably the entities responsible for the poor
reputation aren't likely to pay... So heck, why not ARIN? perhaps
because it's absurd on the face of it? how much do my fees go up in
order to indemnify ARIN against the cost of a possible future cleanup?
how many more staff do they need? Do I have to buy prefix reputation
insurance as contingent requirement for a new direct assignment?

> I do think that ARIN should inform the new netblock owner if it was
> previously owned or not.

We've got high quality data extending back through a least 1997 on what
prefixes have been advertised in the DFZ, and of course from the ip
reputation standpoint it doesn't so much matter if something was
assigned, but rather whether it was ever used. one assumes moreover that
beyond a certain point in the not too distant future it all will have
been previously assigned (owned is the wrong word).

> But if ARIN tried to start cleaning up a netblock
> before releasing it, there would be no end to it.  How could they check
> against the probably hundreds of thousands private blocklist?

Note that they can't insure routability either, though as a community
we've gotten used to testing for stale bogon filters.