Intelligent network monitoring systems (commercial/open source, what have you)

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Fri Sep 11 19:17:22 UTC 2009

Drew Weaver wrote:
> Ah, I was mainly interested in an Orion like system that actually has all of that kind of worked-in.

Yeah I got that. I am not aware of anything that does that. Not to say
it doesn't exist, but if it does it's somewhat well hidden.

http://www.frank4dd.com/howto/nagios/cisco-patch-update-monitoring.htm
looks interesting and has come up in several searches I've done in the
past when needing to monitor cisco kit.

I'm guessing CiscoWorks might have what you are looking for?

I've never been happy with the big commercial NMS products. NAGIOS(with
SNMP plugin)+mrtg/cacti+smokeping has served me and many of my
colleagues very well.

There is alerting and trending which must be taken into consideration.

Alerting is pretty easy, especially with giving nagios knowledge of
hierarchy (if a switch or router stops responding you don't get alerts
for all the servers attached/downstream of it). You can easily automate
the setup with things like nmap2nagios and other tools.

Trending (which it seems is your primary concern) is harder. Zabbix has
some cool SLA reporting and dashboards.

I seem to recall a FLOSS NMS thread a few months ago on here, or maybe
it was c-nsp. Dunno.

Are you primarily concerned with monitoring, or with trending/capacity
planning?