Network Ring

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Fri Sep 11 17:26:36 UTC 2009

An additional requirement often overlooked by Metro Ethernet architects
is to ensure that layer 3 multicast stateful protocols are implemented
in the carrier equipment. In order to ensure that PIM (S,G) stateful
packets are not flooded out all ports in customers'
geographically-dispersed switches, PIM snooping must be implemented in
the carrier's equipment. Otherwise, the carriers' Metro Ethernet service
operates like a 1990's-style shared hub incorrectly flooding (S,G)
packets. For customers that have constant 10+ Mbps (S,G) multicast
streams, the absence of PIM snooping effectively renders 10+ Mbps ports
useless.