WS-X6148A-GE-TX performance question

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Sep 10 22:51:03 UTC 2009

On 10/09/2009 22:17, Scott Spencer wrote:
> I can't really find anything much on X6148A internal architecture online,
> but it would seem that each port gets its own 1gb/s link to the
> card/backplane, and that the bottleneck then is the 32gb/s backplane (which
> is fine, as long as it's not 1 gb/s per each set of 8 ports!).

Sadly, it is 1Gb per each set of 8 ports.  The WS-X6148-GE-TX line card
has its uses, just not in the data center.  To recap on the thread a
couple of weeks ago:

- no storm control
- no port security
- 1G aggregate traffic for each group of 8 ports (i.e. think of it as 6
x gigabit ethernet hubs with shared input buffers connected into a 32G
backplane)
- 2 ports per etherchannel

It's not a service provider blade and doesn't belong in a data center
switch setup.  Don't be disappointed by this: it was designed to be an
aggregation blade for enterprise desktop usage and is quite useful in
that context.

Nick