Wireless STM-1 link

Arie Vayner arievayner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 12:57:12 UTC 2009

Rens,

Does not sound like the symptoms for what I want to write about, but this is
something you need to consider in any way:

When you run sub-rate links (i.e. 1GE interface with really 155Mbps as the
service) you need to make sure that you do not try to push more traffic than
the link can take.
This is mostly relevant for traffic bursts, which happen all the time with
IP traffic. So even if on average you do not use the bandwidth, still you
have short bursts whenever you start a transaction (like a file transfer
etc).

In order to avoid packets being dropped due to this burst on the link, the
1GE equipment before the link should be doing egress shaping to the rate
(sometimes even it is good to choose a rate slightly lower then the actual
rate) of the link.
This would make sure that the network equipment manages the packet drops (if
you have a child QOS policy) and you do not get random tail drops of the
burst.

This means that you need to choose the right network device that actually
supports egress shaping. Be aware that many L2/L3 switches do not support
this.

Arie