Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Thu Sep 10 03:30:02 UTC 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 7:18 PM, Alex Lanstein wrote:

> Along the same lines, I noticed that the worst Actor in recent
> memory (McColo - AS26780) stopped paying their bills to ARIN and
> their addresses have been returned to the pool.
>
> It's my opinion that a very select number of CIDR blocks (another
> example being the ones belonging to Cernel/InternetPath/Atrivo/etc,
> if it were ever fully extinguished) are, and forever will be,
> completely toxic and unusable to any legitimate enterprise.
> Arguments could be made that industry blacklists can and should be
> more flexible, but from the considerably more innocuous case in this
> thread, that is apparently not the modus operandi

Putting these addresses back into use does not mean that they have to
be allocated to networks where they'll number mail servers. ARIN staff
is doubtless aware of the history of these blocks and will presumably
do their best to allocate them to networks that aren't intended to
host mail servers.

Regards,

Leo