Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed Sep 9 05:34:40 UTC 2009

Peter Beckman wrote:
> How about a trial period from ARIN?  You get your IP block, and you get 30
> days to determine if it is "clean" or not.  Do some testing, check the
> blacklists, do some magic to see if there are network-specific blacklists
> that might prevent your customers from sending or receiving email/web/other
> connections with that new IP block.
>
> If there are problems, go back to ARIN and show them your work and if they
> can verify your work (or are simply lazy) you get a different block.  ARIN
> puts the block into another quiet period.  Maybe they use the work you did
> to clean up the block, maybe they don't.
>
> Cleaning up a block of IPs previously used by shady characters has a real
> cost, both in time and money.  The argument as I see it is who bears the
> responsibility and cost of that cleanup.

I encourage someone to write a policy proposal; I'd support it. They
(the recipient) didn't have a darn thing to do with it becoming a
wasteland and shouldn't bear the cost. Unlike bying a (insert your
favorite object here), you can't inspect an IP block before purchase.

I fear that "we don't guarantee routability" will rear its ugly head
even if someone were to pen an awesome policy. I feel it's a poor
position for a registry to take, though. They still get the money even
if you can't use them, and uh oh, looks like you won't qualify for more
until you use the unusable.

Probably getting off topic for NANOG, like most threads that get this long.

~Seth