Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Sep 8 19:48:03 UTC 2009

Jason Bertoch wrote:
> Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>> That said most of the larger players already attend MAAWG - that
>> leaves rural ISPs, small universities, corporate mailservers etc etc
>> that dont have full time postmasters, and where you're more likely to
>> run into this issue.
>>
> I've found the opposite to hold true more often.  Smaller organizations
> can use public blacklists for free, due to their low volume, and so have
> little incentive to run their own local blacklist.  I've typically seen
> the larger organizations run their own blacklists and are much more
> difficult to contact for removal.

Take for example GoDaddy's hosted email service.  They are using a
local, outdated copy of SORBS that has one of my personal servers listed
in it.  It was an open proxy for about week nearly 3 years ago and still
they have it listed.  The upside is that I've demonstrated GoDaddy's
email incompetence to potential customers and gotten them to switch to
our own mail services.  Their loss, my gain.

Justin