Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Tue Sep 8 19:34:10 UTC 2009

> there is a fundamental disconnect here.  the IP space is neutral.
> it has no bias toward or against social behaviours.  its a tool.
> the actual/real target here are the people who are using these tools
> to be antisocial.  blacklisting IP space is always reactive and
> should only beused in emergency and as a -TEMPORARY- expedient.
>
> IMHO of course., YMMV.

Show me ONE major MTA which allows you to configure an expiration for
an ACL entry.

The problem with your opinion, and it's a fine opinion, and it's even a
good opinion, is that it has very little relationship to the tools which
are given to people in order to accomplish blocking.  Kind of the question
I was contemplating in my other message of minutes ago.

If people were given an option to "block this IP for 30 minutes, 24 hours,
30 days, 12 months, 5 years, or forever" - I wonder how many people would
just shrug and click "forever."

This may lead to the discovery of another fundamental disconnect - or two.

Sigh.

... JG