Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Sep 8 19:01:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, Joe Greco wrote:

> It seems like it *could* be useful to have a system to notify of network
> delegation changes, but it also seems like if this was particularly
> important to anyone, then someone would have found a trivial way to
> implement at least a poor man's version of it.  For example, record
> the ASN of a blocked IP address and remove the block when the ASN
> changes...

That too, would be easily gamed by spammers.  Just get multiple ASN's and
bounce your dirty IPs around between them to clean them.  The IP space
being a direct (RIR->LIR) allocation having been made after the blocking
was initiated is a pretty clear sign that the space has actually changed
hands, and seems like it would be fairly difficult (if at all possible) to
game.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |