Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Sep 8 18:39:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 13:43:39 EDT, John Curran said:
>    I'm sure there's an excellent reason why these addresses stay
>    blocked, but am unable to fathom what exactly that is...

If I'm a smaller shop with limited clue, there's 3 likely colloraries:

1) Even a smallish spam blast is big enough to cause me operational
difficulties, so I'm tempted to throw in a block to "fix" it.

2) Once the spammers have moved on, it's unlikely that I have enough customers
trying to reach the blocked address space and complaining for me to fix it, and
the people *in* that address space can't successfully complain because I've
blocked it.

3) The damage to traffic is of consequence to the remote site, but isn't a
revenue-impacting issue for *ME*.

The third point is the biggie here.