FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Sep 7 18:50:35 UTC 2009

I don't think LECs to MSOs have first right of refusal..it's possible that
with MSOs that the city has give the franchise exclusivity, but blame the
city then, not the MSO.  What happens more often is that the LEC or MSO uses
legal, lobbying, or legislative means to put a stop to the competition, but
it's not first right of refusal.  In the cases where munis lost, it was in
relationship to telephone service and a city's ability to obtain a
certificate of service (see here for one muni's story:
http://www.cityofhawarden.com/HiTec/History.html).  Another route to
opposition is if it fills up RoW, though I haven't personally read as much
about that.  Possibly because if the new company is a desperate enough,
they'll come up with a way to address the RoW constraints or show how it's
not a real issue.  Remember, if it really *is* constrained, the new company
won't be super eager to build in there, either.

Frank