Network Ring

VINAY BANNAI bannai at pacbell.net
Mon Sep 7 06:32:02 UTC 2009

There are several ring technologies that are interesting but again it depends on what services you are planning to run and what kind of SLA guarantees  you need:

- RPR (802.17) : This has quieted down but it is a fairly robust technology giving you packet rings with 50ms, CoS, fairness and upto 255 nodes in a ring

- EAPS: This technology is more vendor specific (eventhough an informational RFC exists)

- ERPS (G.8032 - ITU) : This standard from ITU folks supports ethernet based packet rings and is comparable to EAPS

- SONET/SDH : This is tried and tested but do you want to deploy a TDM based technology if most of your traffic is packet based

- MPLS/VPLS : This is a layer 3 based and may not work for pure layer 2 service providers. It is tried and tested but does have some operational complexity built-in compared to layer 2 based technologies

I agree with an earlier suggestion made, do not mix vendors if you want service level interoperability.

Vinay Bannai

Email : bannai at pacbell.net