Route table prefix monitoring

Andree Toonk andree+nanog at toonk.nl
Fri Sep 4 21:26:42 UTC 2009

Hi Jason,

.-- My secret spy satellite informs me that at Fri, 04 Sep 2009, Olsen, Jason wrote:

> What I'm left thinking is that it would have been great if we'd had a
> snapshot of our core routing table as it stood hours or even days prior
> to this event occurring, so that I could compare it with our current
> "broken" state, so the team could have seen that subnet in the core
> table and what the next hop was for the prefix.  Are there any tools
> that people are using to track when/what prefixes are added/withdrawn
> from their routing tables, or to pull the routing table as a whole at
> regular intervals for storage/comparison purposes?

As already mentioned BGPmon.net can probably do what you're looking for.
It will sent you a notification in cases of interesting path changes, possible hijacks,
new adjacencies and new prefixes.  It will also notify you when 'many' peers see a
withdrawal of your prefix. This last feature might be useful for you.

I'm currently also testing a new feature that basically compares yesterday's routing
table with todays table. If there are any 'interesting' changes they will be emailed to you.
You can think of this as a rancid for routing tables changes.
I can include you in testing if you want to.

All of this does assume that your prefixes are globally visible though.

Cheers,
 Andree