Route table prefix monitoring

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 21:06:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Paul Ferguson<fergdawgster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Matthew Walster<matthew at walster.org> wrote:
>
>> 2009/9/4 Olsen, Jason <jolsen at devry.com>:
>>> Are there any tools
>>> that people are using to track when/what prefixes are added/withdrawn
>>> from their routing tables,
>>
>> Could you use something like BGPMon?
>>
>> http://bgpmon.com/
>>

> There's also:
>
> MyASN:
> http://www.ripe.net/info/faq/projects/myasn.html
>
> PHAS:
> http://phas.netsec.colostate.edu/stat.html

I think the OP wanted something for 'internal route monitoring' ...
since he's from DeVry I suspect it's to monitor things on DeVry's
internal WAN which probably don't show in the global table.

That said, you COULD have rancid (or abuse rancid) pull rib-dumps each
'period' and index those into something that alerted on large diff's
(or alerted if some critical bits were missing).  Or have a quagga box
peer with some number of internal devices, log update messages, alert
on withdrawal of critical bits.

-chris
(I don't know of any COTS tools that do this, sorry)