draft-iana-ipv4-examples

Ron Bonica rbonica at juniper.net
Thu Sep 3 20:00:46 UTC 2009

Folks,

The IETF has recently passed draft-iana-rfc3330bis-08. This draft
documents the fact that the following address ranges have been reserved
for documentation:

- 192.0.2.0/24 (TEST-NET-1)
- 198.51.100.0/24 (TEST-NET-2)
- 203.0.113.0/24 (TEST-NET-3)

In addition, some authors have used 128.66.0.0/16 (TEST-B) for example
purposes. There is no RFC that talks about this block, but my
understanding is that IANA/ARIN have marked it as reserved. If you
search the Internet you will find at least some number of examples and
firewall rule sets that use this block, but I have no good idea about
how widespread such usage is.

What should we do about this block? Some of the potential answers
include documenting its role, marking it as reserved but deprecating its
use in examples, and returning it to the free pool immediately (with a
warning sign about possible filtering problems).

Comments?

                                      Ron