Issues with Gmail

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Sep 2 18:20:49 UTC 2009

Long before we has widespread commercial internet, we still had to have the backup plan for when the single highly fault tollerant entitity on which we were dependant on for a particular service went out.

Sometimes, that plan is wait for restoration, whether it was because the bell systems got a bit melty on the long distance,  or because your regional utility managed to melt down the power grid taking out both substations providing diverse feeds.

Systemic but temporarly localized failured has existed as long as the weather. One can move the failure around but I think I can confidently assert that we'll never entirely eleminate it.