Link capacity upgrade threshold

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Tue Sep 1 22:00:56 UTC 2009

Another approach to collecting buffer utilization is to infer such
utilization from other variables. Active measurement of round trip times
(RTT), packet loss, and jitter on a link-by-link basis is a reliable way
of inferring interface queuing which leads to packet loss. A link that
runs with good values on all 3 measures (low RTT, little or no packet
loss, low jitter with small inter-packet arrival variation) can be
deemed not a candidate for bandwidth upgrades. The key to active
measurement is random measurement of the links so as to catch the
bursts. The BRIX active measurement product (now owned by EXFO) is a
good active measurement tool which randomizes probe data so as to, over
time, collect a randomized sample of link behavior.