PPPoE vs. Bridged ADSL

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Oct 29 08:23:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, JD wrote:

I think the important thing is to have a separate L2 isolation per
customer so you can more easily deploy IPv6 in the future. q-in-q or PPPoX
will both solve this problem, but deploying multicast TV offering might be
harder in this deployment model.

There is really no devices out there to securely do IPv6 to the end user
natively when you have a shared L2 domain (in v4 this implies the L2
device will do DHCP snooping and do filtering based on that).

I don't really like tunneling, so I'd advocate the q-in-q model with
separate vlan per customer (or having the L3 routing very close to the
customer so you don't need to do q-in-q but still can do separate vlan per
customer).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se