IPv6 could change things - Was: DMCA takedowns of networks

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Wed Oct 28 05:35:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:41:46 -0500
Jack Bates <jbates at brightok.net> wrote:

> Jeroen Massar wrote:
> > But yes, the network stack itself is a different question, then again,
> > you can just route a /64 into the loopback device and let your apache
> > listen there... (which also allows you to do easy-failover as you can
> > move that complete /64 to a different box ;)
> >

> You are still comparing an application level decision to a stack level
> decision. Thousands of addresses on a stack could definitely pose an
> issue depending on the OS.

Depends a bit on how the OS handles interface address assignments.
Linux creates host routes in a separate 'local' route table, which you
can see via

ip route show table local

or for IPv6

ip -6 route show table local

which I think would suggest that Linux's interface address assignment
scalability is as scalable as it's route table scalability.

Performing concurrent IPv6 Duplicate Address Detection on that many
addresses when the interface/host comes up might be an issue.

Regards,
Mark.