DMCA takedowns of networks

William Pitcock nenolod at systeminplace.net
Tue Oct 27 15:31:28 UTC 2009

Mayfirst / Peoplelink did not get any notice that service would be turned down prior to it happening.

Hurricane has had a really bad history of handling copyright complaints.  The situation for example resulting in mayfirst's circuit being turned down had nothing at all to do with copyright and was instead a trademark violation dispute.

IANAL, but trademark issues are not copyright issues nor are they handled via the dmca.  Therefore what hurricane did in this instance is really unacceptable.  It should be emphasized that the dmca does not require turning down service - only sending the takedown notice along to an appropriate contact. See also: common-carrier immunity concept.

I don't know about you, but hurricanes actions in this instance has made me reevaluate the use of their products in future projects.

(this post definitely does not reflect the opinions of my employer.)

William