DMCA takedowns of networks

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Oct 26 18:44:25 UTC 2009

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> had no liability in the matter. Of course Hurricane is well within their
> rights not to serve any customer that they please, but the customer is
> also well within their rights to find another provider who better
> respects the rights of free speech on the Internet (if the above is what
> actually happened).

I'm sure HE respects the rights of free speech just fine. That being
said, a notice was delivered, customer may not have replied with the
appropriate legal notice, and so HE honored it's obligation to maintain
safe harbor.

One would have to be an idiot to jeopardize their company by rolling the
dice in an effort to protect free speech (which may not legally be free
speech). Courts determine what is free speech. ISPs just try to stay the
hell out of the way.

Jack