DMCA takedowns of networks

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Mon Oct 26 18:03:03 UTC 2009

[realizing that I am veering OT]

Last Thursday I videotaped a talk "Jefferson's Moose in Cyberspace" in NYC.
http://www.isoc-ny.org/?p=959 (still editing - soon come)

One point made was that the "progress" vs "moral rights" dichotomy in
copyright philosophy is so deep that there really is little, if any, prospect of
consensus.

About 10 days ago I videotaped another one - William Patry, Chief
Copyright Counsel at Google - "Moral Panics & Copyright Wars"
http://www.isoc-ny.org/?p=990

His theme is that the two points of view are irrelevant, all that's needed is
an effective law in the public interest.

At the 'Moose' talk one attendee, who I later learned is a criminal court judge
was particularly vociferous on the moral right side. I spoke with him afterwards
and he volunteered the opinion that the internet itself was not in the
public interest
and should be shut down forthwith by the governments of the world, since it
is they who control the satellites!

joly

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Sven Olaf Kamphuis <sven at cb3rob.net> wrote:

> omg... "it's morally wrong"..!!1oneoneeleven
>
> well.. that's up for discussion and btw, copyright law was created to
> protect the investment in a book printing press in order to accomodate
> people to be able to publish their views on things.

Joly MacFie  917 442 8665 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com