DMCA takedowns of networks

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Oct 24 14:39:33 UTC 2009

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Brandt, Ralph wrote:

> HE certainly was right in shutting down that site.  It had copyright
> infringement.  That they took down other sites is reprehensible unless
> they lacked the technical capability to do otherwise.  (The question
> then arises, should they be in business if that is the case?)

Not sure how much I believe of the article and its lack of detail and
chopped quotes...but did HE really disconnect an entire downstream network
over a DMCA notice, or did they null route a /32 that was used by a
customer to host hundreds of virtual web sites?

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |