IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

Perry Lorier perry at coders.net
Fri Oct 23 00:00:35 UTC 2009

trejrco at gmail.com wrote:
> WRT "Anycast DNS"; Perhaps a special-case of ULA, FD00::53?

You want to allow for more than one for obvious fault isolation and load
balancing reasons.  The draft suggested using <prefix>:FFFF::1 I
personally would suggest getting a well known ULA-C allocation assigned
assignment>:2 and <prefix>::<protocol assignment>:3, where <protocol
assignment> could be "0035" for DNS, and "007b" for NTP, and if you're
feeling adventurous you could use "0019" for outgoing SMTP relay.

> ... Heck, start a registry (@IANA) and add in FD00::101, etc. ... Maybe reserve FD00::/96 for this type of "ULA port-based anycast allocation". (16bits would only reach 9999 w/o hex-conversion (if hex-converted could reserve FD00::/112 ... But would be less obvious))
>

> Easily identified, not globally routable, can be pre-programmed in implementations/applications ... ?

Exactly, seems easy, straight forward, robust, reliable and allows for
things like fate sharing and fail over.