{SPAM?} Re: IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 21:31:39 UTC 2009

>>> Then let me say it. RA needs to be able to be completely turned off.
> DHCPv6 needs to be able to completely configure all requesting hosts.

Those two statements are not synonymous ...

Sure, leave RA in the IPv6 stack. The market will decide, and we will see if
> it is still on by default on soho routers and in IOS 15.4T in 2015.
>
> That is a more sensible statement.  And were I to be a gambling man I would
say it will indeed be on by default ... we'll talk more about it then :).

Also, I would like to add - there is a difference between the default
gateway information and other things, such as NTP|DNS|SIP server
information.
The default gateway, by definition, is an on-link thing.  IMHO, this makes
the router a good source for information about the router.
I am not saying use cases for "fully spec'ed DHCPv6" don't exist or should
be ignored.
Making the router capable of sharing the "missing piece" that covers ~95% of
use cases is also a Good Thing.

Thinking out loud, we could also re-create the idea of an auto-magic DNS by
creating a special use case within ULA-space - say FD00::/96, saving the
last 32 bits for something like ::53 and using anycast.
*(Could abstract same idea to any stateless and/or light-session-based
service ... FD00::123 for Automagic ULA-based anycast NTP, etc.  Need 32
bits if we don't want to hex convert the >9999 things, just in case ...)*

/TJ