ISP/VPN's to China?

tvest at eyeconomics.com tvest at eyeconomics.com
Thu Oct 22 12:33:09 UTC 2009

On Oct 22, 2009, at 7:38 AM, Chris Edwards wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Alex Balashov wrote:
>
> | Understood.  I guess the angle I was going more for was:  Is this
> actually
> | practical to do in a country with almost as many Internet users as
> the US has
> | people?
> |
> | I had always assumed that broad policies and ACLs work in China,
> but most
> | forms of DPI and traffic pattern analysis aren't practical simply
> for
> | computational feasibility reasons.  Not unless the system were
> highly
> | distributed.
>
> Perhaps they only need make an example of a few, and thus introduce an
> element of fear for everyone else.

Not "a few," but rather quite a lot, albeit only infrequently, and at
unpredictable intervals, with a very high inclusion/exclusion error
rate -- an artifact of the absence clear and easily demonstrable line
between compliance/non-compliance (which is itself an artifact of the
内部 [internally published only] nature of many of the related rules).

http://www.usc.cuhk.edu.hk/wk_wzdetails.asp?id=2791
www.usc.cuhk.edu.hk/webmanager/wkfiles/2791_1_paper.pdf

TV