IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Oct 22 11:39:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:22:52AM +1300, Perry Lorier wrote:

> You could imagine extending this to other services such as NTP, but I'm
> not sure that you really would want to go that far, perhaps using DNS to
> lookup "_ntp._udp.local IN SRV" or similar to find your local NTP servers.
>
> Another obvious approach might be to have a service discovery protocol
> where you send to a "service discovery" multicast group a message asking
> "wheres the nearest nameserver(s)?" then nameserver implementations
> could listen on this multicast group and reply.  Again shared fate.
> This does have the downside of people running rogue nameservers and
> needing a "ServiceDiscovery-Guard" feature for switches....

	ah... well - if your a router centric person, then you want
	to put everything into the tools you know and love.

	if your a dns centric person, then you put everything in the
	DNS.

	I point you to the "DISCOVER' opcode (experimental) in the DNS
	and the use of DNS over multicast for doing service discovery
	(e.g. Apples Bonjour)...  Most of that is already designed/deployed
	and in pretty widespread use... over IPv4 or IPv6.

	And yes, its not RA/ND, or DHCP... its another configuration protocol
	and its not quite vendor specific.  The best thing is, it pushes
	the smarts closer to the edge (the end device)  and this makes me happy.

> Personally I like the first option (anycast addresses) better, you can
> control who has access to your IGP and if your IGP is down, then for all
> intents and purposes your recursive nameservers are offline too :)

	everyone to their own taste.

--bill