IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Oct 22 10:20:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 11:40 +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> If, on the other hand, the REAL desire is to have a DHCP server break
> the tie in the selection between several routers that advertise their
> presence, that wouldn't be unreasonable.

The RA contains a preference level... maybe that doesn't cut it if
multiple routers are sending the same preference level, but presumably
that would not happen in a well-tended network.

In any case, anywhere this is actually of vital importance, a routing
protocol would be in use.

Using the DHCP protocol to deliver information - about anything really -
is what it's *for*. That said, making clients depend utterly on the
presence of a working DHCP server for basic connectivity seems like a
backward step. Of course, different people have different ideas about
what constitutes "basic" connectivity.

> Stop trying to break the internet and I'll treat you like an adult.

Whoa! Tell you what, how about if I break it, and you get to choose
which piece you keep? [Bash, bash, thud. Ugh. Hm. It's tougher than it
looks!]

:-)

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF