ISP/VPN's to China?

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Wed Oct 21 23:27:39 UTC 2009

At 02:16 PM 10/21/2009, Fred Baker wrote:
>I travel to China at least once a year, often several times. I
>generally visit major cities like Shanghai and Beijing, but have been
>to a number of other cities. I generally use Cisco VPN (an IPsec VPN)
>to Cisco DMZs in Tokyo or Hong Kong for business purposes. As with
>hotels in other parts of the world, congestive interference depends a
>lot on the hotel and what the person you're competing with is doing. I
>can tell you a few horror stories if you're amused by them, but in
>recent years things have been improving.

I use the Cisco WebVPN (AnyConnect) client and I have yet to find a
place in China where it doesn't work perfectly - even in rural areas,
but not so rural that they don't have Internet access. However, if
you try to do many "normal" things outside of the VPN connection -
check certain news sites, logon to facebook or watch a video on
YouTube, you won't be able to do so.

-Robert

Tellurian Networks - A Perot Systems Company
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin