IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Oct 21 19:55:29 UTC 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> On 18 okt 2009, at 10:03, Andy Davidson wrote:
>
>> Support default-routing options for DHCPv6 !
>
> This would be a big mistake. Fate sharing between the device that
> advertises the presence of a router and the device that forwards
> packets makes RAs much more robust than DHCPv4. And DHCPv6 is just a
> case of very bad design, don't expect it to work well without
> bending over backwards even farther than you're used to with DHCPv4.
> It's time for this DHC stuff to reach its final resting place.

You keep arguing this and you're still wrong.

There are very good reasons that some people need this in their real
world networks.

I'm happy for you that you don't need or want to run DHCPv6 in your
environment.
I'm somewhat happy for me that I almost don't need it in mine.

However, making it available as an option in DHCPv6 allows the end-
user/operator
to choose the technology that fits their needs best. I do not know why
you are so
determined to prevent this choice at the operator level.

Owen