CRTC rules on Traffic Management Practices

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Wed Oct 21 17:16:10 UTC 2009

Tim Lampman wrote:
> Realistically this has to do with one main thing, traffic throttling
> (Mainly of bittorrent and other p2p applications).
> In previous decisions and hearings they discussed at length the
> management of networks in regards to spam and viruses.
> These have nothing to do with what this ruling is about and they stated
> that there is a clear distinction
> between managing spam and viruses and management of traffic for specific
> applications.
>
> This ruling really doesn't amount to much at this point as bell, rogers,
> shaw, cogeco etc will all still throttle whatever they
> want, whenever they want without much regard for the rulings of the
> CRTC. They ignore many other rulings every day,
> why would this one be any different.

The issue that interests me most is the reputed filtering and throttling
performed by these companies for broadband L2 connections backhauled to
ISP's doing the L3 on them, such as with ATM or L2TP.

In that scenario, a broadband user who is a customer of Mom'N'Pop ISP is
getting throttled by a third party providing a L2 backhaul.

 From what you have posted, this would now require prior approval. As I
feel strongly that this behavior is quite wrong and should not happen, I
am encouraged by these rules.

Joe